ICYMI … Your mini news clippings
- For an insightful view of the charter school debate, read this Forbes commentary. The author, an economist, cites strong evidence from numerous studies that charters are better at educating poor students and black students than regular public schools. They are not as good for non-urban schools and white students. His main point: if any other public policy showed these types of results, it would be embraced much more readily.
- The Wall Street Journal had cover story profiling a 25-year-old welder in Texas making $140,000 a year. And … both his parents have doctoral degrees. New Orleans needs more Career-Technical Education (CTE), for these opportunities are in our metro area as well.
- The principal of Cohen College Prep says students with disabilities are thriving at her charter school.
- The two finalists for Orleans Parish school superintendent will have a last round of interviews and meet with the public on Wednesday, January 14.
- The Attorney General issued an opinion that the RSD (not OPSB) has control over the empty John McDonogh High School building.