In the news (or mini news clippings..ICYMI)
- Senator Vitter just did a 180 on Common Core.
- Stand for Children urges you to express your disappointment with Senator Vitter.
- BESE renews/extends the charters of one-fourth of schools, although Martin Luther King Jr. Charter School is not happy about their OneApp reprimand.
- In this op-ed, RSD Superintendent Patrick Dobard comments on the sometimes hard decisions required if we are committed to ensuring that the school options for students are the best our city can offer.
- And one perspective on why Franklin’s teachers voted to unionize.
Don’t forget to vote YES this Saturday, December 6!
Help pass the school facility millage to keep New Orleans public school buildings from falling into disrepair.
- This proposition will NOT increase your taxes. It would extend and repurpose the existing 4.97 mill property tax.
- Currently there is no money dedicated to maintain our newly built and renovated school buildings – no money for emergency repairs, like fixing a roof damaged in a tropical storm, and no money for planned capital replacements, like new A/Cs, heaters and restroom facilities.
- It is supported by a broad coalition, including the New Orleans Business Council, Urban League of Greater New Orleans, Bureau of Governmental Research (BGR), Stand for Children, Black Alliance for Educational Options (BAEO), Citizens for 1 Greater New Orleans, Puentes, Vietnamese Initiatives in Economic Training (VIET), as well as the Times-Picayune, The Advocate and Gambit.