Fact: RSD charters are serving lots of students with disabilities and working to improve these services.
In the 2009-10 school year, the 36 RSD charters enrolled 1,228 students with disabilities, falling just short of enrolling their “fair share” of special needs children by 76 students.
- As of February, 2010, special needs children comprised 9.2% of the overall student population in RSD and OPSB schools.
- The RSD charters had 14,129 students and enrolled 1,228 students with disabilities (8.7%).
- If they were serving their proportionate share of these students (9.2%), they would have enrolled 1,304 special needs children, 76 more than they enrolled.
Charter schools are taking the initiative to find better ways to serve students with disabilities.
- The LA Special Education Cooperative was started and funded by charter schools with a shared interest in building strong programs for students with disabilities.
A few RSD charter schools did enroll significantly fewer students with disabilities than other charters or direct-run schools.
- There were 5 RSD charter schools enrolling less than 5% students with disabilities.
- On the other hand, there were 4 RSD charter schools enrolling more than 10% students with disabilities.
The Board of Elementary and Secondary Education (BESE), as the chartering authority, has the responsibility to properly monitor RSD charters to:
- Determine why some RSD charter schools enrolled low percentages of students with disabilities.
- Ensure that every RSD charter school is committed to serving all students and participates correctly in the common application/enrollment process.
- Take corrective action where appropriate.
FACT: RSD charter schools are enrolling and serving students with disabilities.
FACT: RSD charter schools are demonstrating a commitment to improving services for students with disabilities.
The Recovery School District (RSD) and the Orleans Parish School Board (OPSB) released updated special education enrollment figures as of February 1, 2010. These are the most current figures available.