In 2008, the Louisiana Legislature passed the Student Scholarships for Educational Excellence Program to provide tuition vouchers to low-income students in Orleans Parish to attend private and parochial schools or public schools outside of Orleans Parish. The purpose was to give parents better, higher quality school options other than attending a failing school.
For a review of voucher student performance see:
- December 2013 – Voucher Performance Lacking
- May 2013 – Louisiana voucher students score almost 30 points below average on LEAP tests, Times-Picayune
- July 2012 – A Tale of Two Schools: Voucher Performance
- July 2011 – Voucher Program in Trouble
- July 2011 – Press Release: Call for Accountability and Performance Standards in Voucher Program
- June 2010 – RSD Schools Significantly Outperform Voucher Program
A Tale of Two Schools: July 2012
In A Tale of Two Schools, Educate Now! looks at two Orleans Parish voucher schools and the very different academic results they are achieving with their students.
Voucher Student Performance Data
- 2012-13 Louisiana Scholarship Program Annual Report
- 2011 Student Performance – RSD Schools vs. Voucher Schools
- 2010 Student Performance – RSD vs. Voucher Schools
- Voucher Student LEAP Performance by Subject 2008-09 to 2011-12